top of page

Temporary Crisis Pet Housing

No matter what the crisis, the animal welfare community knows that your pets are your family.

Depending on the type of crisis you've encountered, your first step is to find human services in your area. Many of those organizations also know that your pets are your family and will have resources to help you and your animals.

If you have been temporarily displaced by a natural disaster or house fire, contact the
American Red Cross. If you're working with them, many government-run, and some private, animal shelters will temporarily house your pets.

If you are fleeing violence in your home, contact the closest domestic violence shelters in your area to ask for help and to inquire about pet housing programs. Contact the 
National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1.800.799.7233​.

Contact all local animal shelters and nonprofit rescues. Ask if they have a program to temporarily house your pets while you get through a crisis.

Review this nationwide list of
pet-friendly domestic violence shelters.

Call 211,
United Way’s 211 line, for a variety of local resources.

Existing Programs:

Michigan Humane Society

Safety Net Foster Program

30300 Telegraph Road
Bingham Farms, MI 48025


Program supports people experiencing a housing crisis, medical procedures requiring time out of the home, or other temporary situations that inhibit caring for a pet, with all other alternatives exhausted.

I Heart Dogs Rescue and Animal Haven

22415 Groesbeck Highway

Warren, MI  48089

Program provides a haven for the pets belonging to domestic violence survivors.

Humane Society of West Michigan

P.E.T.S. Network

3077 Wilson Dr. NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49534
(616) 791-8088.

Program provides emergency housing for pets affected by a natural disaster, eviction, domestic violence, owner homelessness, and other temporary care situations.

Survivors using resources and/or domestic violence shelters in Montcalm, Muskegon, Ottawa, Kent, Ionia, Barry, Calhoun, Eaton, Clinton, Jackson or Ingham Counties:


Hope’s 2nd Chance Animal Sanctuary 

(616) 287-2580

Organization provides free temporary, safe housing for dogs, cats, small animals, horses and large animals.


Residents of Washtenaw County:


Humane Society of Huron Valley

Safe Harbor Program

3100 Cherry Hill Rd

Ann Arbor, MI 48105

Please call (734) 661-3552 or (734) 662-5585 to arrange to be included in the Safe Harbor Program.

Residents of Charlevoix and Emmet Counties:


Women’s Resource Center of Northern Michigan
423 Porter Street

Petoskey, MI 49770

Partners with Charlevoix Area Humane Society to temporarily house pets.

Residents of Marquette County and Surrounding Areas:



The Sasawin Safe Haven

(906) 225-1346

Sasawin Safe Haven will provide safe and confidential shelter for your animals until you are ready to reunite and move with them. Sasawin Safe Haven provides all services at no cost to you, including veterinary care, pet food, transportation and pet supplies. Harbor House, 906-226-6611 or 1-800-455-6611, will assist you in finding pet-friendly safe housing. 

bottom of page